Friday, December 21, 2007

What's in a name?

Naju - that's my name. Have had responses range from a raised eyebrow, cocked ear to rhymes of "kaju naju" and what have you. I must admit that more often than not, I like that response. I like the fact that it has a quaint story attached to it, thanks to my parents. My father was called Biju and my mother is Moina. As is the custom in most parts of India, these were their nick-names. My brother came into this world before me and my parents decided to name their labor of love "Mobi". Mo from Moina and Bi from Biju. When he grew a little older and was introduced to tales of the blue whale (Moby Dick), he decided to spell his name Moby. I followed into the world a few years later. Again the parents got together, looked at what was left of their names that could be strung together and decided to give me the remaining syllables of Na from Moina & Ju from Biju and ever since, for good or worse the world has known me by that name. No nick names & good names for me. Years later, I discovered to my delight that this name does have a meaning and you might come across other Parsis or Muslims with this name. In Persian, Naju means someone 'dear'.

No comments: